This is a detailed guide on how to make money on Amazon KDP in Nigeria, read to the end to gain more insight.
Kindle Direct Publishing (KPD) is Amazon’s e-book self-publishing platform introduced in November 2007 for authors and publishers to publish their books independently.
Since its creation, many writers have been cashing out big time by just publishing their books directly in the Kindle Store.
However, you do not necessarily need to be a writer to make money on Amazon KDP In Nigeria, you can employ a freelance writer to do the writing for you while you do the other necessary things.
Moreover, not many people know how to make money on Amazon KDP in Nigeria, if you are in this category of people, read this article on how to make money on Amazon KDP in Nigeria to the end to gain more insight.
Also read: How To Ship From Amazon To Nigeria
How To Make Money On Amazon KDP In Nigeria
Making money on Amazon KDP in Nigeria is one of the most convenient ways to make money online in Nigeria as you do not necessarily need to know how to write to start publishing.
However, below are the steps on how to make money on Amazon KDP in Nigeria.
1. Research A Topic
The first step you need to take to start making money on Amazon KDP in Nigeria is to research a topic that people are interested in and would love to read it.
Writing on any topic without carrying out the necessary research will make you have fewer readers because the majority of readers might not be interested in what you are writing.
However, one of the ways of researching topics is through keyword research. By carrying out keyword research, you will know the topics people are actively searching for on search engines.
To make your search easy, you can use a free tool like Ubersuggest to know the number of people searching for a particular topic.
The topic you write on will determine how much money you will make, if you choose a less interesting topic, people might not purchase your books, so you need something captivating.
Furthermore, you can also search for topics by searching for amazon bestsellers, you will see popular topics written by people, and you can choose to write on a topic similar to that of the popular bestsellers.
2. Gather Relevant Materials
After choosing the topic you want to write on, the next step to making money on Amazon KDP in Nigeria is to gather the relevant materials you want to use to write your book. The materials will guide you to write your book successfully.
You can get relevant materials online or at resource centers. However, if you are not good at writing books,, you can employ a good freelance writer, relay your ideas to the person and he or she will write your book for you.
3. Write On The Chosen Topic
After getting the necessary materials, the next step is to create a structure your book is going to follow. Know the number of chapters your book is going to have, know the sub-topics, and what you would want to write on each chapter.
By having a structure, you will find it easy to write your book and complete it on time.
However, if you are not a good writer, or you are not conversant with the topic you want to write, you can employ a freelance writer to write your book for you.
4. Format Your Book
After writing your book, the next step is to format it. Formatting is an important part of publishing on the KDP platform.
Amazon has some formatting rules that you must follow if you want your book to get published on the platform.
This is to ensure that books published on the Amazon KDP platform are accessible to everybody whether they are accessing them on PC, smartphones, or tablets.
However, for a complete understanding of Amazon’s formatting guidelines, click on this link.
5. Design Your Book Cover
After writing and formatting your work, the next step is to design your book cover.
Book covers are very important components of books, many people judge a book by the cover and the title so you have to make your book cover captivating.
However, the success and the failure of your book on the Amazon KDP platform partly depend on the designs you use for your book cover because people see it before having the opportunity to read your book.
To get a well-designed book cover, you can employ a good graphics designer to help you design a captivating cover.
Furthermore, your book cover design depends on the type of book you want to publish, if you are publishing only soft copy, you need to design only the front cover, but if it is the hard copy, you can create both the front and the back cover.
6. Register On the Amazon KDP Platform
Now that you have finished writing your book, properly formatted it following the amazon guidelines, and designed the book’s cover, the next step is to register on the Amazon KDP platform.
The registration process is not hectic and could be done in a jiffy. All you need to do when you are on the registration page is enter your name, email address, or phone number, then create a secured password.
Secondly, enter the one-time password (OTP) that will be sent to your email or phone, after that, you will be redirected to a page to enter your contact address, and payment details and sign a tax form.
After that, your account is successfully created and you are ready to publish your book on the Amazon KDP platform.
7. Enter Book Details
KDP’s book setup makes it simple for you to upload, enter, and adjust your book before publishing.
However, the information you enter during this setup will be used for creating your book’s Amazon detail page.
The detail page is where readers go to purchase your book, and if you want to sell your book as an eBook, hardcover, or paperback, endeavor to create all formats in your KDP account and connect them together.
The first thing to do when publishing your book on Amazon KDP is to enter your book details. These details are what will be seen on the front page of your book.
To know how your book details will show up on your detail page visit J.K. Rowling’s page for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.
However, the title, subtitle, author name, series information, and ISBN in your manuscript file must correspond with the details you enter during the title setup.
If you are publishing low-content books, you can decide to either use your ISBN or publish without an ISBN.
8. Write Your Book Description
It is important to write a short description of your book before publishing it. The description is what prospective buyers read before purchasing any book.
Your description has to be short and captivating. You can write it by yourself or pay a copywriter to write it for you.
Your Amazon Kindle book description should include the title of your book, the author’s name the genre of your book, and the plot summary or story arc.
You must also indicate whether the book is a series or a one-off publication, and the age range the book is appropriate for.
You can also add your social media links and a website URL.
9. Choose Your Keywords And Categories
It is important to choose keywords and categories that are suitable for your book, it will help drive traffic to your book when people search for similar books.
Make sure you have at least 9 words in your category and keywords because having more will help increase your chances of being found.
However, make sure all the keywords accurately represent the content of your book.
10. Upload Your Book
The next step is to upload your book in the ePub file format. The ePub file format is compatible with all Kindle devices and apps.
Once you’ve uploaded your book, you will receive a notification stating that it has been uploaded successfully.
11. Upload your Book cover
When uploading your book cover, it is important to upload either the jpeg or tiff version of the cover.
To add the cover, go to “Bookshelf” and then select “Cover”, and you will be presented with two options which are “Create New Cover” and “Upload Existing.”
If you have a pre-existing cover file, choose the second option and find the file, but if you do not have it, choose the first option.
When the cover is uploaded successfully, you will also receive a notification to that effect.
12. Set A Pricing
The last thing to do before publishing on Amazon KDP is to set your book’s price and royalty rate and agree to KDP’s Terms and Conditions before publishing.
However, the good thing is that your price can be modified at any time after your book is published.
13. Upload And Preview Book
After entering your book details, the next step is to upload and preview your book. Here, you can upload your manuscript and preview it to see just what the book will look like to the public.
However, if you are publishing a paperback or hardcover book, you will have to enter your print options before previewing.
14. Publish Your Book
After going through the processes of writing a book, it is now ready to be published. formatted it correctly, and chosen the perfect cover.
Before you hit the publish button, make sure you check if all the information is correct and that you have not omitted anything.
First, look at Amazon’s requirements for publishing an eBook to know if what you have done aligns with the requirement.
However, know that your book must be original content, it must not be published elsewhere online or in print, and it must meet Amazon’s formatting guidelines.
Once you have checked that everything is good – covers, table of contents, page numbers, etc – you publish your book.
Also read: Best Sites To Sell Gift Cards In Nigeria
Benefits of Publishing on Kindle
Many people have benefited from Kindle Direct Publishing (KPD) platform over the years. Its many benefits have made people choose it over and over again as their favorite publishing platform.
However, for those who do not know the many importance of Kindle Direct Publishing, below are the importance of publishing on Kindle.
1. It is very easy to publish on kindle. The process of setting up your publishing account, working through the dashboard, and uploading your book to KDP is very easy.
2. You can upload your book in a Word format and KDP will help you turn it into a Kindle-readable file.
3. You can set up and publish your book for free with no hidden costs. You do not have to buy an ISBN either as ebooks do not need them.
4. With Kindle, you can still make changes after you have published your book without having to make a second edition.
5. Kindle gives your book a global audience. After uploading your book, you can make it available to countries all over the world.
6. With Kindle, you can set up your book for pre-order. It’s a beautiful thing to spur the interest of your potential readers before the date of your book launch, it is a great marketing trick.
7. When you independently publish on Amazon, you are at liberty to decide what your cover looks like, how the formatting is presented, and how your content is set out. You will have to decide on almost everything which gives you a sense of fulfillment.
8. Every stage of the publication process on the KDP platform is very easy and the platform is user-friendly. There is a unique software program available for users to download and work with, it eases the process of creating a kindle book.
9. You do not only create ebooks on the KDP platform, you can also create your paperback version without any difficulty. Once your Kindle book is ready the additional details are automatically put in place for you to start creating your paperback version too.
10. With the KDP platform, you can make money while sleeping because every time you sell one of your Kindle books you receive 70% of the royalties. Amazon keeps the other 30% for displaying your book on their shelves.
11. Amazon provides you with tools you can use to publish on Kindle. You can use the KDP cover creator to do your cover design.
12. Kindle allows you to preview what your book will look like on a tablet and even a phone before you commit and submit it to KDP.
13. Amazon will index your book once it is published and it will appear in internet searches whenever someone searches keywords related to your book title.
14. Publishing your book on Amazon Kindle is very fast. If you submit your Kindle book to Amazon KDP, it will be on sale within 24 and 72 hours.
15. Amazon makes available Kindle Create, a software used for formatting ebooks. It’s free to download from Amazon and it helps in importing a Word document and format for Kindle.
How To Receive Amazon Kindle Payment In Nigeria
It is very good to make money on Amazon KDP in Nigeria.
To get paid on Amazon KDP in Nigeria, you will be required to give your account information, where your royalties will be sent to you.
However, below are the steps to make money on Amazon KDP in Nigeria.
1. Open a Payoneer Account, so that you will be given a US, UK, and Europe account number for free.
2. On the registration page, select that you are a business or individual and provide the necessary information needed by Payoneer.
3. Add your local bank account and its swift code and submit.
4. After completing your registration, the team will review your account, and you will receive an email of confirmation once the team is done with the review.
6. When you receive the confirmation message, log in to your Payoneer account and click on receive.
7. Click on the “Global Payments” tab from the drop-down menu.
8. Select your US account to see your account number and other information.
9. Open a new tab and login into your Amazon affiliate account.
10. Go to settings, look under “Payment and Tax Information,” and choose “Change payment method.”
11. From the page, choose “Direct Deposit” as your payout option.
12. Choose “United States” as the country where your bank is located from the list.
13. Fill out the form provided to you appropriately using Payoneer US bank account details from your Payoneer account.
14. Click the Submit” button when you are done filling out the form.
That is all you have to do to receive Amazon kindle payment in Nigeria. Amazon pays monthly into the Pàyoneer accounts of Nigerian authors and publishers, and royalties are paid every month too.
However, you can collect your money from Pàyoneer through a specially issued Pàyoneer MasterCard you can use to withdraw money from any Nigerian bank ATM that allows it.
That’s all on how to make money on Amazon KDP in Nigeria, I hope it helps you make money on Amazon.