This is a detailed guide on the Universities that offer Fashion Design in Nigeria, read to the end to gain more insight.
Fashion design over the years has culminated into something everybody wants to learn.
It is no longer a skill acquired through apprenticeship alone, it is also a full-blown course offered in the universities and polytechnics.
To become a professional fashion designer, you can choose to enroll in any of the universities offering fashion design as a course and gain both the skill and the certificate.
If you are contemplating acquiring fashion design skills, I will advise you to enroll in an institution offering it as a course to better understand how it works.
However, if you do not know the Universities in Nigeria that offer fashion design, read this article to the end to gain more insight.
Universities In Nigeria That Offer Fashion Design
Fashion design is influenced by culture, and it keeps evolving over the years. Fashion as an academic field of study incorporates disciplines including history, business, illustration, and technology.
Fashion design is the skill of creating and designing clothing and clothing accessories. A fashion designer creates clothing, including gowns, suits, pants, and skirts, and accessories like shoes and handbags, for consumers.
As I said, fashion has evolved over the years and the universities in Nigeria consider it fit to offer fashion design as a course of study to fashion enthusiasts.
However, below are the Universities in Nigeria that offer fashion design, read to the end to choose the one that is best for you.
1. University of Abuja
The University of Abuja is the only Nigerian university offering fashion design as a course for now.
Enrolling in the university to learn fashion design will give you an edge over others who enroll in training centers.
You will learn more about the fashion design skills and knowledge required to be a professional fashion designer when you enroll at the university.
However, apart from learning the skill, you will also be certified after completing your required courses.
Apart from the University of Abuja, many other polytechnics are training people to become fashion designers and experts.
These polytechnics adopt a standard curriculum incorporating both theories and practical knowledge in teaching.
Enrolling in any of the polytechnics gives you the chance to practice with different kinds of industrial sewing machines.
Also, you will participate in a one-year compulsory Industrial attachment with any industry or training center of your choice where you will learn and have adequate knowledge.
2. Kano State polytechnic
Kano State Polytechnic is a tertiary institution located in Kano state. It was established in 1975 and is regulated by the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE).
The Polytechnic is made up of five schools including the school of technology, the school of management studies, the school of environmental studies, the school of rural technology and entrepreneurship development, school of general studies.
However, if you want to learn fashion design, it is advisable to enroll in the department of fashion and textile at this polytechnic.
3. The Polytechnic Of Ibadan
The Polytechnic of Ibadan is an institution of higher learning in Ibadan in Oyo State, Nigeria. It was founded in 1970.
The Polytechnic was established to provide higher education, especially in technical skill acquisition.
The vocational and skills acquisition center of this polytechnic ensures that students acquire skills before leaving the institution and also provides skills training to the host community.
4. Kaduna Polytechnic
Kaduna Polytechnic is one of the earliest polytechnics in Nigeria. It is located in the Tudun Wada area of Kaduna South local government of Kaduna state.
Kaduna polytechnic is one of the best institutions that offer fashion design as a course.
However, the colleges in the school include:
1. College of Business & Management Studies (CBMS)
2. College of Environmental Studies (CES)
3. College of Engineering (COE)
4. College of Science and Technology (CST)
5. College of Administrative Studies and Social Sciences (CASSS)
6. College of Technical and Vocational Education (CTVE)
5. Auchi Polytechnic
Auchi Polytechnic is a Federal Polytechnic in Auchi, Edo State, Nigeria. It is one of the first four Polytechnics established in Nigeria.
It has over 10,000 students enrolled in business, technology, environmental, and arts courses, and it is one of the polytechnics that offer fashion design to fashion enthusiasts.
The school has a high academic standard recognized nationally and internationally, and it has been consistently rated among the top polytechnics in Nigeria by Webometrics.
However, the schools in this polytechnic include:
1. School of Applied Science & Technology (SAST)
2. School of Art and Industrial Design (SAID)
3. School of Business Studies (SBS)
4. School of Engineering Technology (SENG)
5. School of Environmental Studies (SENV)
6. School of Information & Communication Technology (SICT)
6. Yaba College Of Technology
Yaba College of Technology was established in 1947 and is Nigeria’s first higher educational institution.
The school is located in Yaba, Lagos, and has a student enrollment of over 16,000.
Yaba College of Technology is the first higher institution in Nigeria to found a Centre for Entrepreneurship Development in collaboration with the world of commerce and industry.
The center offers mandatory courses which must be taken by all students throughout their stay in the college.
However, if you want to learn fashion design, then you need to enroll in their school of Art, Design, and Printing.
The school comprises four departments which are:
1. Fine Art Development with courses in ND General Art and HND in Painting and Sculpture.
2. Industrial Design Department – ND and HND Fashion Design Day Release Certificate in Dress Making and HND Textile Design
3. Ceramic course at ND and HND levels
4. Printing Technology Department
5. Graphic Design Department (Day Release Certificate in Photography and HND in Graphic Design).
7. Benue State Polytechnic
The Benue State Polytechnic is a tertiary education institute in Ugbokolo, Okpokwu LGA, Benue State, Nigeria
It is one of the polytechnics that offer fashion design courses to fashion enthusiasts. However, the schools run by the polytechnic include:
1. School of Business and Management Studies
2. School of Engineering Technology
3. School of general and preliminary studies
4. School of administrative and vocational studies
5. School of Environmental Studies
6. School of Technology
7. School of Art, Design, and Printing
8. Adeseun Ogundoyin Polytechnic
The Adeseun Ogundoyin Polytechnic, Eruwa is a state government higher institution located in Eruwa, Oyo State, Nigeria.
The Polytechnic was established in 2014, and it is one of the higher institutions that offer fashion design.
However, some of the courses offered in this polytechnic include:
1. Fine Art
2. Business Administration & Management
3. Office Technology And Management
4. Estate Management And Valuation
6. Arts And Industrial Design
7. Fashion Design
8. Fashion Design And Clothing Technology
9. Mass Communication
9. Ogwashi-Uku Polytechnic
The Ogwashi-Uku polytechnic is located in Delta state and it is one of the schools that offer fashion design.
However, the school offers National Diplomas and Higher National Diplomas in Art and Design (Fashion Design and Clothing Technology, and General Art), business, engineering, and applied sciences.
10. Federal Polytechnic Of Oko
Federal Polytechnic, Oko is a Nigerian polytechnic located in Oko, Anambra State. It was founded in 1979 and was formally known as the College of Arts, Science and Technology.
Federal Polytechnic, Oko is one of the developing tertiary institutions in Nigeria and it has the following faculties:
1. School of Engineering Technology
2. School of Environmental Design and Technology
3. School of Applied Science and Technology
4. School of Arts, Design and Printing Technology
5. School of Business Studies
6. School of Financial Studies
7. School of General Studies
However, the School of Arts, Design, and Printing Technology consists of the following departments:
1. Fashion Design & Clothing Technology
2. Printing Technology
3. Fine and Applied Arts
11. Institute Of Management Technology Of Enugu
Institute of Management Technology is a higher institution located in Enugu state. It is one of the schools that offer fashion design.
Institute of Management Technology has a School of Art, Design, and Printing Tec, and this school comprises various departments which flourish on creativity.
The school consist of the following departments:
1. Fine Art
2. Industrial Design
3. Fashion Design and Clothing Technology
4. Graphic Design
5. Printing Technology
That’s all on the Universities that offer fashion design in Nigeria, I hope it helps you make the right choice of school.