This is a detailed guide on the quickest ways to get rid of head lice in Nigeria, read to the end to gain more insight.
Head lice make people very uncomfortable especially when they are in the public. The constant itchiness of the scalp can make you scrape off your scalp.
Many people have struggled to get rid of head lice but always to no avail as they do not know the right method or products to use to get rid of them.
If you are battling with head lice without knowing how to defeat them, it is high time you stopped to restrategize your plan by reading this article on the quickest ways to get rid of head lice in Nigeria.
This article will educate you on the approach and product to use to easily get rid of head lice, do not fail to read to the end.
About Head Lice
Head lice are brownish small wingless insects that live on the human scalp and feed exclusively on human blood.
Head lice can affect anyone, and having head lice is not an indication of poor personal hygiene. Moreover, children are known to be more commonly affected by head lice than adults.
Contrary to some opinions, head lice do not carry or spread bacterial or viral diseases, and pets, such as dogs and cats, usually do not contribute to spreading head lice.
However, it is usually not possible to get rid of head lice overnight, but your lifestyle, home remedies, and proper and consistent use of the prescribed drugs can get rid of them.
Common Signs And Symptoms Of Lice Infestation
It is very easy to know that your head has been infested with lice because of the common signs and symptoms you will experience.
When you start experiencing these signs and symptoms, do not hesitate to tell someone to confirm if you have lice, and if they are there, do not hesitate to start battling them immediately.
Moreover, below are the common signs and symptoms of lice infestation.
1. Intense itching of the scalp, neck, and ears.
2. Open wounds on the scalp and neck due to severe itching
3. Visible lice on the scalp, body, and clothing.
4. Visible lice eggs on the hair shafts.
5. A tickling feeling on your scalp.
Common Ways Head Lice Can Be Transmitted
Although head lice cannot jump or fly, it is possible for them to be transmitted from one person to the other. Lice crawl, and usually directly transfer from the hair of one person to another.
Head lice infestation may not always be a sign of poor personal hygiene or an unclean environment, there are common ways they can be transmitted.
However, some possible ways of transmission include:
1. Direct and close contact with another person that has head lice.
2. Sharing hats, scarves and wig.
3. Sharing hair brushes and combs.
4. Sharing hair accessories.
5. Sharing of headphones.
6. Sharing pillows, towels, and clothing.
7. Direct head-to-head (hair-to-hair) contact.
Quickest Ways to Get Rid of Head Lice in Nigeria
Although there are many quickest ways to get rid of head lice in Nigeria, it is usually not possible to get rid of head lice overnight, but with proper lifestyle, home remedies, and consistent use of the prescribed drugs, you can get rid of them.
However, below are the quickest ways to get rid of head lice in Nigeria.
1. Combing your entire hair from the scalp to the tips when it is wet with a fine-toothed comb can remove lice and some eggs.
2. Using a lubricant such as olive oil or coconut oil while combing the hair makes it easy to remove the lice. You can repeat the combing every three to four days for a few weeks till there are no more lice found in your hair.
3. Some essential oils such as tea tree oil or ylang-ylang oil may kill lice by suffocating them.
4. Common home products such as petroleum jelly (Vaseline), olive oil, butter, or mayonnaise may kill lice by depriving them of air and smothering them. You can apply any of these products to your scalp and hair, cover it with a shower cap, and leave it overnight.
5. Applying hot air with a special machine handled by a professional can cause dehydration, possibly killing the eggs and lice.
6. You can consider cutting your hair because if your hair is gone, the head lice will also go at the destruction of their habitation. Cutting off your hair is a much faster way to get rid of head lice.
7. Applying a relaxer to your hair can help get rid of head lice because the chemical would be too strong for it to withstand.
8. You can use essential oils such as Tea Tree oil, Rosemary oil, Eucalyptus oil, Citronella, and Peppermint oil to get rid of head lice.
How To Prevent Head Lice
It is often said that prevention is better than cure. It is a good thing to prevent yourself from getting head lice.
Head lice are easy to prevent but difficult to cure, below are ways to prevent head lice.
1. Avoid hugging or having close contact with someone with head lice.
2. Inspect other members of your household for head lice.
3. Wash items that are used on the head such as hats, and pillowcases in hot water.
4. Disinfect your entire house after a person with head lice visits.
5. Wash clothing, soft toys, and bedding in hot soapy water at a temperature of 130°F (54.4°C) at least, and dry them at high heat.
6. Clean hair cand items such as hair combs, brushes, or hair accessories by soaking them in hot soapy water for at least 10 minutes.
7. Safely seal items that cannot be washed in plastic bags for at least two weeks.
8. Avoid head-to-head (hair-to-hair) contact during play and other activities at home, school, and elsewhere.
9. Do not share clothing such as hats, scarves, coats, sports uniforms, hair ribbons, or barrettes.
10. Do not share combs, brushes, or towels. Disinfect combs and brushes used by an infested person by soaking them in hot water (at least 130°F) for 5–10 minutes.
11. Do not sleep on beds, couches, pillows, carpets, or stuffed animals that have recently been in contact with an infected person.
12. Machine wash and dry clothing, bed linens, and other items that an infested person wore or used with hot water (130°F) laundry cycle and the high heat drying cycle.
13. Vacuum the floor and furniture, especially where the infested person sat or lay.
14. Do not use fumigant sprays or fogs; they are not required to control head lice and can be dangerous if inhaled or absorbed through the skin.
Also read: 10 Causes Of Divorce In Nigeria
That’s all on the quickest ways to get rid of head lice, I hope it helps you get rid of yours too.