This is a detailed guide on the importance of popular participation in Nigeria, read to the end to know the importance of participating in the activities of your country.
Many people shy away from partaking in the affairs and decision-making of their country, state, and local government for reasons best known to them.
However, there is no reasonable justification as to why you would not want to participate in the affairs of your country, state, and local government.
Nation building needs the contribution of everyone in a state, and when people are lackadaisical about it, there is bound to be stagnation.
The importance of popular participation in Nigeria cannot be underestimated, it triggers positive results in many ways.
If you are yet to know the importance of popular participation in Nigeria, read this article to the end to know everything about popular participation in Nigeria.
About Popular Participation
Popular participation has to do with the showing of interest and the participation of citizens of a country in the socio-political activities of the country.
It is an act of involving the citizens in the governance of their country and deciding important socio-cultural, political, and economic matters.
Popular participation has to do with the input of citizens in the country’s affairs, it gives unrestricted equal opportunities to all citizens to express their views concerning the activities of the state.
In Public Participation, the public can express their opinions regarding political, economic, management, or other social decisions through different mechanisms.
Also read: Importance of Political Parties in Nigeria
Types of Popular Participation In Nigeria
There are many ways you can get involved in the affairs of your country, and below are the different types of popular participation in Nigeria
1. Political Popular Participation
Political popular participation has to do with you getting involved in the political affairs of your country.
You can do this by participating in policy making and implementation in your state; registering in a Political Party such as PDP, APC, LP, etc.; becoming a cardholder of the political party; voting in an Election; protesting and demonstrating against Government negative Policy; holding Public Office, etc.
2. Economic Popular Participation
Economic popular participation has to do with you engaging in legitimate trade and business activities in your country to contribute to the economic growth of the country.
This type of popular participation also has to do with you patronizing the local producers and manufacturers of your country to boost the economy.
Furthermore, economic popular participation has to do with taking part in community-based projects that will help people in the community through collaboration with the government, private enterprises, or foreign investors.
3. Social Popular Participation
Social popular participation has to do with you using your talent and skills such as singing, writing, acting, comedy, dancing, etc., for national growth and development.
Showcasing your talent and skills can bring you and your country into the limelight and expose you to international recognition.
4. Education Popular Participation
Educational popular participation has to do with you supporting and assisting the government in the educational sector of the economy.
By supporting the government in the educational sector, you eradicate illiteracy and crime in the country.
5. Science And Technology Popular Participation
Science and Technology popular participation have to do with your involvement in research for the discovery and invention of new relevant things that will create wealth in your country.
6. Art And Humanity Popular Participation
Art And Humanity Popular Participation Have to do with your involvement in music, visual art, designs, drawings, sculpture, etc., to promote your country.
7. Religious Popular Participation
This form of popular participation cut across all types of religion in Nigeria including Christianity, Islam, and traditional religion.
Importance of Popular Participation in Nigeria
Popular participation has a whole lot of roles to play in Nigeria, its importance can never be underestimated.
However, below are the importance of popular participation in Nigeria.
1. Popular participation brings about Good Governance
If citizens of Nigeria fully participate in the electoral process, they will vote out bad governance and vote for a legitimate and good government that will solve the problem of the people.
2. Popular Participation Enables National Development
Popular Participation brings about national development as there will be rapid socio-economic development when citizens participate in the electoral or political processes.
3. Popular Participation enhances political stability
Popular participation enhances political stability by maintaining law and order for economic and political development in society.
4. Popular Participation Creates Good And Responsive State
Through popular participation, the people will elect reliable and good people that care about their problems, needs, and aspiration.
5. Popular Participation Brings About Political Awareness
When citizens of Nigeria participate in political activities, they will become more politically conscious, know their rights, and carry out their duties and obligation to society.
6. Popular Participation Brings About Credible Elections
Elections in Nigeria will become more credible when the citizens of the country actively participate in political activities.
7. Popular Participation Guarantees Peaceful Order Of Succession
Popular participation guarantees peaceful transitioning from one government to the other.
8. Popular Participation Encourages Peace And Harmony
Citizens enjoy peace and harmony when they actively participate in the political affairs of their country.
9. Popular Participation Encourages Accountability
Accountability, transparency, due process, and integrity are guaranteed in governance for the good of the society when citizens of the country actively participate in the country’s political activities.
10. Popular Participation Brings About Wealth
Popular participation creates a conducive environment for businesses and investments to thrive thereby boosting the economy of the country.
11. Popular Participation Prevents Military Intervention
Military invasion into politics and other forceful means of changing the government will be impossible when the citizens get involved in the political activities of the country.
12. Popular Participation Brings About Good Governance
Active participation of citizens in the government will result in good governance and also build trust in citizens.
13. Popular Participation Ensures Impartial Judiciary
Active participation of people in the government protects the sovereignty of the judiciary and guarantees the impartiality of judges in the giving of justice for the good of society.
14. Popular Participation Result In International Recognition
Active participation of people in the affairs of the state earns the state and the people international recognition and respect.
Other importance of popular participation in Nigeria are:
1. It Promotes political awareness and education.
2. It promotes political stability.
3. It boosts self-fulfillment and satisfaction.
4. It improves development.
5. It leads to institutionalizing responsive and responsible government.
6. It encourages political consciousness.
7. It provides greater opportunities for citizens.
8. It boosts the confidence of the people to hold the government accountable.
9. It improves the quality of governance.
10. It influences the principle of government policies.
11. It ensures the legality of government.
12. It brings about the collective effort in the development of the political system.
13. It promotes a sense of belonging among the people.
14. It ensures everybody is carried along in the process of development.
15. It ensures equity in the allotment of societal resources.
16. It enables citizens to gain socio-economic and political power.
That is all on the importance of popular participation in Nigeria, I hope it helps you participate fully in the activities of your country, state, and local government area.