This is a detailed guide on how to get medical fitness certificate for NYSC.
A medical fitness certificate is mandatory if you are enrolled for NYSC; It is one of the requirements you cannot bypass.
Most times Prospective Corps Members get duped by people because they do not know how to get the medical fitness certificate by themselves.
Getting medical fitness certificate for NYSC is no big deal and it does not cost a fortune as some people make it look.
If you wish to get a medical fitness certificate for NYSC, this guide will help, as it will show you everything you need to know about getting a medical fitness certificate for NYSC.
Moreover, after reading this article, you will not need anybody’s assistance to get a medical fitness certificate for NYSC.
What Is Medical Fitness Certificate
A medical certificate is a certificate issued to you by a registered medical practitioner at the hospital after carrying out a series of tests to ascertain that you are healthy and fit for NYSC.
A good medical fitness certificate is free from medical jargon and its content is easily understandable to avoid confusion or misinterpretation of the certificate by the parties concerned.
The importance of a medical fitness certificate is to show that you are free from any health challenge that may get worse during your three weeks stay at the orientation camp because those three weeks are accompanied by a series of exercises that involves mild paramilitary training.
The request for medical fitness certificate by NYSC officials took effect in 2016 after corps members lost their life due to complicated health issues.
Therefore it is crucial to carry out the necessary tests before obtaining the medical fitness certificate as some people get it illegally.
Difference Between A Medical Fitness Certificate And A Medical Report
There are clear differences between a medical fitness certificate for NYSC and a medical report; you cannot substitute one for the other.
It is compulsory for prospective corps members to obtain a medical fitness certificate from the hospital before heading to orientation camp but a medical report is not mandatory.
Most times, Prospective Corps Members get confused between medical fitness certificates and medical reports, most of them obtain the latter and end up being denied entrance to NYSC orientation camp.
Moreover, take note of the difference between medical fitness certificates and medical reports to avoid making a costly mistake.
1. A Medical Fitness Certificate is a statement from a registered medical practitioner or a physician that affirms the outcome of a medical examination of a patient while a Medical Report is a statement about your health status.
2. A Medical report shows your past and present health issues. It is to inform the NYSC officials of your inability to stay in a particular region because of your health status.
3. A Medical Fitness Certificate can only be obtained in a government or military hospital while a medical report can be gotten from either government, military or private hospital.
4. Medical Fitness Certificate is compulsory for NYSC registration while a medical report is only needed when you apply for relocation.
5. Medical Fitness Certificate is issued after medical tests have been carried out while a medical report is given to you by your doctor stating that you have an underlying sickness.
Importance Of Medical Fitness Certificate
A medical fitness certificate for NYSC is as important as your call-up letter because you would not be allowed in the NYSC orientation camp without it. Moreover, below are the importance of medical fitness certificate.
1. The medical fitness certificate helps NYSC officials to know the true state of your health and how to help you in case of an emergency.
2. It enables NYSC officials to know if your medical condition is manageable to allow you to participate in the three weeks orientation camp training.
3. It helps the NYSC management to know if your medical condition can cause harm to other healthy corps members in camp especially if you are infected by tuberculosis.
4. It helps NYSC officials to know the state you should be posted to. Some regions in Nigeria have extreme weather conditions that are not favorable to some people.
5. It helps the officials to know if you should be posted to a place where medical care is readily available.
6. The medical fitness certificate for NYSC will help NYSC management to know how to prepare for emergencies to prevent the sudden death of corps members.
7. It helps the officials to prevent cases of severe medical emergencies.
Structure Of A Medical Fitness Certificate
A medical fitness certificate for NYSC should not be hastily written, it should be well structured for thorough understanding. Below is how a Medical fitness certificate should be structured.
1. The title of the certificate should be written in bold letters.
2. The certificate should be addressed to the main party.
3. The certificate should have the date of examination written on it
4. The name and address of the medical practitioner’s patient should be captured on the medical fitness certificate.
5. The name and address of the medical practitioner should also be written on the medical fitness certificate. It can be the Hospital’s address.
6. The doctor’s remark can also be written on the medical fitness certificate which might be of relevance to clients or their employer especially if it has to do with restrictions on certain things.
7. The medical fitness certificate should be Concluded with a closing signature and the registration number of the medical practitioner.
Additionally, a copy of the medical certificate should be in the custody of the medical practitioner for 3 years from the date of issue.
The Cost of NYSC Medical Fitness Certificate in Nigeria
There is no fixed price for obtaining a medical fitness certificate for NYSC. the cost depends on the tests to be carried out and the hospital issuing the certificate.
Moreover, the cost can range from one thousand naira to seven thousand naira respectively.
Hospitals Permitted to Issue Medical Fitness Certificate
The only hospitals permitted to issue medical fitness certificates for NYSC are:
- Military hospitals
- Police hospitals
- Customs hospitals
- Federal Medical Centres
- Teaching Hospitals
- General Hospitals
- Government Specialist Hospitals, etc.
Additionally, It is mandatory for all Prospective Corps members to present a medical fitness certificate for NYSC stamped and signed by the Chief medical officer of a government-owned hospital
However, a medical fitness certificate is not transferrable and it is valid for three months from the date of issuance.
NYSC Medical Certificate Test List
NYSC has made a list of important tests every Prospective Corps Member should carry out before they are issued medical fitness certificate.
You are mandated to carry out these tests to ensure you are fit to participate in all the activities carried out in the orientation camp.
Below are the tests every Prospective Corps Member is expected to carry out:
- Blood Group
- Blood Pressure
- Chest X-ray
- Hepatitis C virus
- Packed Cell Volume Test
- Stool Analysis
- Visual Acuity
- Malaria Parasite
Also see: How To Correct Name On NYSC Website
How to Get Your NYSC Medical Fitness Certificate For NYSC
Medical Fitness Certificate for NYSC is not a certificate you should obtain illegally. It is better you go through the right procedures to get it.
To obtain your medical fitness certificate, you have to get registered in a government or military hospital and get the hospital’s registration card.
Secondly, see the doctor and show him the list of tests NYSC expects you to carry out, the doctor will give instructions to health personnel to help you carry out the test in the laboratory.
Moreover, if the hospital does not have the facility to carry out the required tests you can conduct the test in another hospital and get the result for documentation. However, your blood sample or urine may be needed to carry out the test.
Thirdly, once the tests are conducted and the test results are ready, the results should be submitted to the chief medical officer of the hospital for review and certification.
Once everything is documented in the certificate, it would be signed by the chief medical officer and stamped with the hospital’s stamp.
That’s all on how to get a medical fitness certificate for NYSC, I hope it helps you get yours.