This is a detailed guide on the full list of Research Institutes in Nigeria.
A research institute is an organization established for the main purpose of carrying out research, and the research institute may be well familiar with basic or applied research.
Research institutes are very important in Nigeria because they serve a lot of purposes in our educational practices.
In Nigeria, there are numerous research institutes in natural science, Art and Humanities, and social science, particularly for sociological and historical research purposes.
However, if you do not know the Research Institutes in Nigeria, read this article on the full list of Research Institutes in Nigeria to gain more insight.
Roles of Research institutes in Nigeria
Research Institutes play a vital role in all sectors of Nigeria from health to agriculture, science, and technology, education, and socioeconomic.
The importance of research cannot be underestimated because a nation that trivializes research is bound to be stunted in all ramifications.
Moreover, below are some of the roles of research institutes in Nigeria.
1. Research Institutions provide data needed to carry out projects.
2. Research institutions help in conducting research in various fields of endeavor.
3. Research institutes in Nigeria enhance the innovative activities of businesses, especially SMEs.
4. Research institutes in Nigeria play a vital role in the development of new products and cooperate in almost every stage of the innovation process.
5. Research institutes in Nigeria help in the expansion of the curriculum of social or scientific methodology.
6. Research institutes in Nigeria are members of intellectual communities that share values, directions, and missions.
Importance Of Research
Research is very important to individuals and a country as a whole. Without research, people will live in ignorance, and moreover, research clears all doubts about many things in life.
However, below are the importance of research.
1. Research stimulates curiosity, it reveals new ideas and different opinions.
2. Research opens up new opportunities for learning and growth, it widens people’s horizons.
3. Research helps to identify a problem and offers ways to solve the problem.
4. Research provides people with a solid foundation to construct their ideas and opinions.
5. Research helps in the identification of credible and non-credible information.
6. Research helps in creating awareness of national issues such as climate change, insecurity, gender inequality, racial discrimination, child labor, trafficking, food insecurity, etc.
Full List Of Research Institutes In Nigeria
There are numerous research institutes in Nigeria and below is the full list of Research Institutes In Nigeria and their locations.
1. Agricultural Research Council of Nigeria (ARCN), located in Abuja.
2. Agricultural Rural Management Training Institute (ARMTI), is located in Ilorin.
3. Animal Production, Fisheries, and Oceanography Research Institutes, located in Lagos.
4. Arable Crops Research Institutes.
5. Center for Energy Research and Development.
6. Centre for Energy Research and Training.
7. Centre for Management Development.
8. Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria, located in Ibadan.
9. Energy Commission of Nigeria (ECN).
10. Federal College of Freshwater Fisheries Technology, located at New Bussa, Niger state.
11. Federal Institute of Industrial Research (FIIRO), located at Oshodi in Lagos state.
12. Federal Ministry of Agriculture.
13. Federal Ministry of Science and Technology (FMST).
14. Federal Ministry of Water Resources.
15. Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria (FRIN), Ibadan.
16. Forestry, Horticulture, and Tree Crops Research Institutes.
17. Institute for Advanced Medical Research and Training.
18. Institute for Agricultural Research (IAR).
19. . Institute of Agricultural Research & Extension Services, ABU, Zaria.
20. Institute of Agricultural Research & Training, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ibadan.
21. Institute of Archaeology and Museum Studies.
22. Institute of Chartered Chemists of Nigeria (ICCON).
23. Institute of Child Health.
24. Institute of human virology.
25. Institute of Operations Research of Nigeria (INFORN).
26. International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA).
27. International Livestock Research Institute.
28. Lake Chad Research Institute (LCRI).
39. Medical research institutes in Nigeria.
30. National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC).
31. National Agency for Science & Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI), located in Abuja.
32. National Agricultural Extension Research and Liaison Services (AERLS).
33. National Animal Production Research Institute located in Zaria.
34. National Center for Agricultural Mechanization.
35. National Center for Energy Research and Development.
36. National Center for Technology Management.
37. National Centre for Genetic Resources and Biotechnology (NACGRAB).
38. National Center for Technology Management.
39. National Cereals Research Institute (NCRI).
40. National Horticultural Research Institute (NIHORT).
41. National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD).
42. National Institute of Freshwater Fisheries Research, New Bussa.
43. National Institute of Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD).
44. National Research Institute for Chemical Technology (NARICT).
45. National Root Crops Research Institute.
46. National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA), located in Abuja.
47. National Veterinary Research Institute (NVRI) located at Ikoyi, Lagos
48. Nigeria Institute of Science Laboratory (NISLT), located in Ibadan.
49. Nigerian Academy of Science, located in Lagos State.
50. Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute (NBRRI), located in Abuja.
51. Nigerian Educational Research Council, located in Ikeja, Lagos.
52. Nigerian Institute for Oceanography and Marine Research (NIOMR), located in Lagos State.
53. Nigerian Institute for Oil Palm Research (NIFOR), located in Edo state.
54. Nigerian Institute for Trypanosomiasis Research (NITR), located in Nassarawa.
55. Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology, located in Oshodi, Lagos.
56. Nigerian Institute of Medical Research (NIMR), located in Yaba, Lagos state.
57. Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research, located in Ibadan.
58. Nigerian Stored Products Research Institute (NSPRI), located in Ilorin.
59. Projects Development Institute (PRODA), located in Enugu state.
60. Raw Materials Research and Development Council (RMRDC)
61. Rubber Research Institute of Nigeria (RRIN), located in Benin city, Edo state.
62. Scientific Equipment Development Institute (SEDI-E), located in Enugu.
63. Sheda Science and Technology Complex, located in Abuja.
64. Social Sciences Academy of Nigeria, located in Abuja.
65. Sokoto Energy Research Centre (SERC), located in Sokoto state.
66. The Nigerian Institute of Medical Research, located in Yaba, Lagos state.
67. Unilorin Sugar Research Institute (USRI), located in Illorin.
That’s the full list of research institutes in Nigeria, most of the research institutes are still in operation and they receive funding from the government as well as individuals.