This is a detailed guide on how to make almond oil.
The many benefits of Almond oil cannot be underrated, it has a wide variety of uses.
So many people have resorted to using almond oil but not everybody knows how to prepare it.
Knowing how to prepare almond oil yourself will save you from buying a fake one.
However, this article on how to prepare almond oil is a step-by-step guide on how you can prepare pure homemade almond oil.
What Is Almond
Almond fruit is a drupe comprising of an outer hard shell with seeds enclosed in the hard shell.
The fruits contain vitamins, minerals, protein, and fiber, and they may provide numerous health benefits.
Shelling almonds has to do with peeling the shell to disclose the seed.
However, almonds are sold shelled or unshelled and blanched almonds are shelled almonds that have been passed through hot water to soften the seed coat for easy peeling.
Almonds start bearing crops in the third year after planting. Trees attain full bearing five to six years after planting. The fruit ripens in the autumn, seven to eight months after blossoming.
Interestingly, in 2019, the world production of almonds was 3.5 million tonnes, with the United States providing 55% of the world total followed by Spain, Iran, and Turkey.
Varieties Of Almond
Almonds have varieties which are Nonpareil, Tuono, and Mariana.
Nonpareil came into existence in the 1800s. It’s a wide tree that yields large, smooth, thin-shelled almonds with 60–65% nutritive kernel per nut.
This variety of almonds requires pollination from other almond species for good nut production.
Tuono came originated in Italy, It has thicker, hairier shells.
It has only 32% of edible kernel per nut and it does not need pollination by other almond species for production.
However, Mariana is used as a rootstock to develop smaller trees.
Types Of Almond
There are two types of almonds which are bitter and sweet almonds.
The commonest of almonds are the sweet almonds, they are edible and used for making milk, almond oil, meal, flour, etc.
The bitter almond is slightly wider and smaller than the sweet almond. It contains about 50% of the regular oil that exists in sweet almonds.
Bitter almonds contain the enzyme emulsin and may yield 4–9 mg of hydrogen cyanide per almond and contain 42 times higher quantities of cyanide than the trace levels found in sweet almonds.
Bitter almond, when used medicinally results in severe or lethal effects, especially in children.
However, before consuming the bitter almond, cyanide must be removed.
Usefulness Of Almonds
There is much usefulness of almonds, they have extensive economic importance that cannot be underrated.
Almonds Are Edible
Almonds can be eaten as fruit, especially the young succulent green ones that are still green and fleshy on the outside and the inner shell has not yet toughened.
Almonds are also used to make bread, almond butter, nougat, cakes, cookies, puddings, candied confections, etc.
However, almonds can be processed into milk which is a better option for lactose intolerant people and vegans.
Almond milk, almond butter, and almond oil are versatile products used in both sweet and delectable dishes.
Almonds improve Our Overall Health
The health benefits of almonds include lower blood sugar levels, reduced blood pressure, and lower cholesterol levels.
Almonds can help decrease bad cholesterol which causes heart disease and belly fat in the body and they can promote weight loss.
Almonds contain lots of healthy fats, fiber, protein, magnesium, and vitamin E. and they are a good source of antioxidants.
Moreover, antioxidants help defend against oxidative stress which can cause harm to molecules in the body cells and contribute to inflammation, early aging, and cancer.
Furthermore, daily consumption of almonds can help control blood sugar since nuts are low in carbohydrates but high in healthy fats, protein, and fiber.
However, almonds are perfect for people with diabetes because it contains a great amount of magnesium.
The calcium, magnesium, manganese, copper, vitamin K, protein, and Zinc contained in Almonds makes it a perfect source for strong bones.
Also, due to the high content of riboflavin and L-carnitine, almonds maintain a healthy brain function.
Almonds Are Used For Cosmetics
Sweet almond oil is used as a base oil in aromatherapy and cosmetics while bitter almond oil, containing Benzaldehyde, is used in perfumes.
Because almonds are a great source of vitamin E and antioxidants, they help in reducing inflammation and keeping the skin healthy, firm, and glowing.
They contain substances that help in fighting the damage caused by UV rays, they also fight and prevent skin cancer.
Including almonds in your diet regularly will not only give you clear, acne-free, and pimple-free skin but also nourish your skin and keep it soft and supple
Nutritional Value Of Almonds
Almonds contain 4% water, 22% carbohydrates, 21% protein, and 50% fat.
They are also rich in B vitamins riboflavin and niacin, vitamin E, and the essential minerals calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, and zinc.
Almonds contain moderate B vitamins thiamine, vitamin B6, folate, choline, and the essential mineral potassium.
They also contain substantial dietary fiber, monounsaturated fat, oleic acid, polyunsaturated fat, linoleic acid.
Additionally, almonds are a source of phytosterols such as beta-sit sterol, stigmasterol, camp sterol, sitostanol, and campestanol.
Almond oil is the oil gotten from dried almonds, it is a healthy oil that contains monounsaturated fats and vitamin E.
Almond oil is widely used by people as it contains numerous nutrients that are good for the body. However, almond oil can be homemade or industry-made.
How To Make Almond Oil
There are many ways to make almond oil and this article has captured all the three ways you can make natural almond oil.
Method 1: Making Almond Oil Using Blender
Many people use a blender to extract almond oil, to do this, you need two to three cups of sweet almond; plenty of water to dissolve the almond paste; bowl, and sieve or cheesecloth for mixing and filtering; a pot and turner for cooking and stirring; a container to conserve the oil when it is ready.
1. Pour raw almonds into the blender and start blending slowly because of the seeds so you do not overwork your blender.
2. Once the nuts have been broken into pieces, you increase the tempo of the blender until you have a smooth paste.
3. Pour the almond paste into a pot, dissolve the paste with water and boil it for ten minutes.
4. Filter the milk from the chaff using a cheesecloth and cook it again. Cook it until the milk dries off and the oil starts coming out.
5. Bring down the pot from the fire and allow the oil to cool, then extract the oil from the paste by scooping the paste into a cheesecloth and squeezing out the oil into another clean container.
6. Store the oil in an airtight jar away from moisture, and your sweet almond oil is ready to be used.
This is another way you can make almond oil using a blender.
1. Put the almonds in your blender
2. Blend them with the low speed at the initial stage and later increase the tempo when the nuts have broken into pieces. Blend them carefully and look out for spills.
3. After blending it into a fine paste, add a teaspoonful of olive oil to make the paste more creamy and smooth.
4. When you are done blending the almond, transfer them to an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for about two weeks for the almond oil to separate from the chaff.
5. After two weeks, filter the oil from the chaff into another clean container. Now your almond oil is ready for use.
Method 3: Making Almond Oil Using Oil Press Machine
The oil press machine is more expensive than the blender but blends faster and saves time
However, to extract oil from almonds using an oil press machine, you have to follow the steps given below.
1. Pour the almonds into the oil press.
2. Start turning the crank of the machine slowly to get the almond to start producing oil if it is the manual one, but if it is an automatic oil press machine, you would need electricity to start grinding.
3. With an automatic oil press machine, you do not need to keep a container under it to collect the oil because it comes with a pressing chamber and oil receiver but you would need a container if you are operating a manual oil press machine.
4. When you are done extracting the oil, you can use it right away without waiting for two weeks for the oil to separate from the chaff.
5. If the oil is not pure, you can leave it for some hours for it to settle and then filter it to have pure almond oil.
Usefulness Of Almond Oil
Almond oil has so many uses and that is why most people do not lack it in their homes. Almond oil is used both for preparing meals and for cosmetics. However, below are the usefulness of almond oil.
1. Almond Oil Is Used as Moisturizer
You can use almond oil as a moisturizer to moisturize your skin. It helps soften dry patches on your skin and provides it extra protection. It keeps your skin young and beautiful and fight wrinkles.
However, to use almond oil on your skin, wet your hands with warm water and scoop the required quantity of the oil into your palm, then use it to massage your face and other parts of the body. Do not wash it off, allow your skin to absorb it.
2. Almond Oil Is Used To Make Facial Mask
Almond oil can be used to make a facial mask. To make a facial mask with almond oil, after mixing all your ingredients for a facial mask. You pour in the almond oil as a thickener that would hold the ingredient and allow it to stay on your face.
3. Almond Oil Is Used To Make Facial Scrub
Almond oil can be used to make facial scrubs. Facial scrub helps clear and exfoliate the skin, getting rid of dead skin cells and dirt.
4. Almond Oil Is Used As Conditioner
Almond oil can be used as a hair conditioner to soften the hair. To use it, take a handful of almond oil, and it into your wet hair, afterwards, use a comb to comb your hair thoroughly and cover it for 30 minutes.
After that wash it off with shampoo and feel your healthy hair. Moreover, almond oil is a vital ingredient in many of our beauty products including shampoos, conditioners, soaps, and creams.
5. Almond Oil Is Used As Hair Cream
You can apply almond oil on your hair as your hair cream, you can also use it to make your hair soft and shiny, and free from tangling.
Also, almond oil is very effective for hair growth, it fuels blood circulation, and also prevents hair fall.
6. Almond oil Is Used to make lip balm
Almond oil can be used to make lip balm. Lip balm prevents your lip from cracking or becoming dry, it takes care of your lips and makes them supple.
7. Almond Oil Is Used For Cooking
Almond oil is very good for cooking because it is free from cholesterol. It Increases heart health, helps in controlling blood sugar, and healthy weight maintenance.
However, almond oil is very good for roasting, frying, and making salad dressings.
That’s all on how to make almond oil, I hope it helps you make your natural, pure almond oil.